With just a little bit of effort, you can transform a batch of basic cupcakes into a cute and clever back-to-school themed cake to get your kids excited for the start of the new year. They could even be a sweet treat for your kids’ new teacher too! Arrange the cupcakes and frost them to create the illusion of a single sheet cake shaped and frosted to look just like a pencil.
Gather These Sweet Supplies:
- 1 Box Cake Mix (plus ingredients to make cupcakes)
- Baking Cups
- Cupcake Pan
- 1 Jar Vanilla Frosting
- Food Coloring
- 4 Bowls
- Aluminum Foil
- Cookie Pan
- Zipper-Seal Bags
Cupcake Makin’ Time!
- Bake cupcakes in liners according to package directions.
- Cover a cookie pan in aluminum foil.
- Arrange warm cupcakes in a pencil shape (see image) and press together to minimize gaps.
- Scoop about ¼ of the frosting into a bowl. Stir in 2-3 drops red food coloring to make a pink eraser color. Ice one row of cupcakes, filling the gaps between the cupcakes.
- Ice the next row with plain white frosting. Run a fork through the row to imitate the creases in the metal ferrule of the pencil.
- Scoop a small amount of frosting into a small bowl. Mix in several drops of green, blue and red coloring until the frosting is black for the pencil lead. Spread on just the end of the first cupcake, and put the remaining frosting in a zipper-seal bag.
- Scoop another small amount of frosting into another bowl. Mix in 2-3 drops of yellow, 1 drop red, and 1 drop green. Frost the rest of the pencil tip.
- Add 1 drop red and several drops of yellow food coloring to the remaining frosting and ice the rest of the cupcakes, finishing your pencil.
- Snip a corner off the zipper seal bag to make a pastry bag. Squeeze the frosting through it to write a name, classroom number, or grade level.
Looking for more foodie ideas to get your kids in gear for going back to school? Check out these adorable lunchbox sandwich sushi ideas!