Who doesn’t love a sweet, freshly cooked doughnut? While not completely guilt free, these melt-in-your-mouth morsels are baked, not fried! The best part? You can whip up the donut dough the night before and pop them in the oven in the morning for piping hot, mouth-watering goodness with your morning coffee!
Shop at Dollar Tree – Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1-1/3 Cups of Warm Milk
- 2 Tsp. of Active Dry Yeast
- 2/3 Cup of Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. of Margarine
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tsp. of Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp. of Powdered Ginger
- ¼ Tsp. of Allspice
- ¼ Tsp. of Ground Cloves
- 5 Cups of Flour
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper
- Plastic Wrap
- 1 Stick of Margarine
- Cinnamon Sugar and/or Powdered Sugar
- Shallow Microwave-Safe Bowl
- 1 – 3.5-oz. Chocolate Bar
- 1 Stick of Margarine
- ¼ Cup of Milk
- 1 Tsp. of Cinnamon
- 2 Tsp. of Vanilla
- 2 Cups of Confectioner’s Sugar
Easy Step-by-Step Directions:
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, 1/3-cup milk, and yeast. Let it sit about 15 minutes or until it looks foamy and smells like bread.
- Mix in the rest of the milk, margarine, spices, and vanilla. Add eggs.
- Slowly add flour to the bowl until the dough forms a smooth, tight ball.
- Place the dough in a bowl lightly greased with cooking spray and let it sit in a warm spot for about an hour, or until it’s doubled in size (time may vary due to your house temperature).
- Punch the dough firmly and turn out on a floured countertop.
- Roll to a 1/2″ thickness.
- Cut out dough circles – if you don’t have a 3″ cookie cutter, carefully use a drinking glass or plastic tumbler.
- Cut the holes out of the center of the dough circles.
- Lay out on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. If you’re waiting until morning to bake them, cover the doughnuts with another layer of parchment and top with plastic wrap. Store in the fridge until morning and remove 1 hour before baking. If you plan to cook the donuts as soon as possible, let them sit for 45 minutes to rise a second time.
- Heat the oven to 375°. Bake doughnuts for 8-10 minutes. The tops should still pale and the undersides just beginning to turn golden.
- While the doughnuts are baking, melt the margarine in a shallow microwave safe bowl and pour some cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar on a plate.
- Make the chocolate glaze (if desired): Melt the margarine and milk in a small saucepan over medium/low heat. Add the chocolate and cinnamon, and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar, a little at a time until the mixture is thick but smooth.
- After the doughnuts come out of the oven, spread the melted margarine over the surface of the doughnut and sprinkle with cinnamon/powdered sugar, or dip in the chocolate glaze. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Do you have a sweet tooth and need a fix? Then, put a twist on baking by making ice cream cone cupcakes!