Need a dessert idea that celebrates your grad’s BIG day? Make the graduation celebration that much sweeter with these easy cap & tassel cupcakes… add a few simple toppers to plain old cupcakes for a dessert that’s fun to look at and to eat! All the pomp and circumstance of a fancy dessert without any of the hard work — who doesn’t love easy and adorable?
What You’ll Need:
- Cupcakes (Cake mix, baking cups, and muffin pans)
- Vanilla Frosting
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Peanut Butter Cups
- Chocolate Bars (with square sections)
- M&Ms® or Reese’s® Pieces
- Fruit-Flavored Tootsie Rolls® or Taffy
- Chocolate Frosting
Easy Step-by-Step Directions:
- Prepare the cupcakes as instructed on the cake mix box. Bake as directed, then remove from the oven and let them cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are cool, frost them with the vanilla frosting and decorate with sprinkles (if desired).
- Unwrap the peanut butter cups and place one firmly on top of each cupcake, in the center.
- Break the chocolate bars into squares. Spread some chocolate frosting on top of the peanut butter cups (this acts as the “glue” to hold the cap pieces together) and add one square on top of each peanut butter cup.
- To create the tassels, unwrap a fruit-flavored Tootsie Roll or taffy candy (we used yellow, but you can use whatever color you wish) and knead the candy until it’s soft and pliable.
- Knead the candy into a flat, thin layer. Using the knife, slice the candy into thin pieces then gently roll each piece on the flat cutting surface to smooth out the edges.
- Gather 3 or 4 cut Tootsie Roll/taffy pieces and press them together at one end.
- Add a little dab of chocolate frosting to the middle of a chocolate cap and press the tassel into the frosting. Add a little chocolate frosting to an M&M or Reese’s Pieces and press on top of the tassel.
- Repeat steps 6-8 to add a tassel and topper to every cap.
Visit DollarTree.com to shop our Cap and Tassel Cupcakes idea.