Teachers, do you love getting your classroom in the spirit of the season like I do? I find that the easiest way is by decorating my door for the holidays! I enjoy greeting my students with a wintery themed display using Dollar Tree’s table covers, paint, wrapping paper, poster board, cut-out letters, garland, tissue paper, and holiday décor. This year I decided to create a warming welcome with this fireplace display complete with stockings hung with care.
This door will give your class a warm atmosphere, getting your students excited for the holidays as they see a stocking labeled with their name! Wrap the door in wrapping paper or a plastic tablecloth and use a kitchen sponge and red paint to stamp the “bricks”. Use brown paper logs and tissue paper to create the toasty fire. Cut a rectangular strip of black poster board for the mantle and cut stockings from red poster board and line them with shiny garland. Label each stocking with a student’s name, and finish the display with cut letters, “Stockings Hung with Care”. Surprise your students with this fun door as your welcome the month of December!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Table Cloth or Wrapping Paper
- Red Paint
- Paper Plate
- Rectangular Kitchen Sponge
- Brown Construction Paper
- Red, Yellow, and Orange Tissue Paper
- Red Poster Board
- Black Poster Board
- Cut Letters
Easy Step-by-Step Directions:
- Line your door in tablecloth or wrapping paper and secure it to the sides with tape.
- Pour red paint into the paper plate, and dip the sponge into the paint. Stamp the paint covered sponge onto the covered door, repeating the stamp in a fireplace brick pattern- leaving a square opening for the fire.
- Cut 2-3 brown paper logs and tape them into the square opening. Rip and wrinkle tissue paper and tape over top of the brown logs to form the fire.
- Cut a long rectangular strip of black poster board and tape it on top of the brick fire place as the mantle.
- Then, cut out stockings (one for each student) from red poster board and tape each one to the mantle. Cut small strips of garland and tape on top of each stocking.
- Use a marker to write in each student’s name, one on each stocking.
- Lastly, tape the letters to spell “Stockings Hung with Care”, on the top half of the door.
- Enjoy the atmosphere this warm door brings to your classroom all month long!