Dreaming of a whimsical way to decorate? This quick DIY for a starry night garland is a great way to light up your child’s play space or bedroom! Grab a strand of wired battery-operated fairy lights from Dollar Tree and create your own air dough clay stars. Wrap your wired lights around each light-weight clay star to create a dreamy garland strand. Perfect to use as a nighttime reading light, plus they can make for a fun addition to a movie night or use them to brighten up your party space!
Shop at Dollar Tree – Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 Cup of Baking Soda
- ¼ Cup of Cornstarch
- ¾ Cup of Water
- Star Cookie Cutter
- Mixing Spoon
- Bowl (Medium to Large Size)
- Rolling Pin, Spatula, or Plate
- Strand of Battery-Operated Fairy Lights
- Wax Paper
*I made my own air dough; however, Dollar Tree now sells pre-made air dough clay as well!
Easy Step-by-Step Directions:
- Combine the water, baking soda, and cornstarch in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir constantly for about 3-5 minutes, until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken. Stir for an additional minute until it is difficult to mix.
- Pour the mixture in a bowl to cool completely.
- Sprinkle a wax lined work surface with baking soda then pour the dough on top.
- Use a rolling pin, spatula, or plate to press the dough flat.
- Press the star cookie cutter into your dough, making multiple star cut outs.
- Allow the stars to sit out on wax paper overnight, until hardened.
- Once dry and hardened, wrap the wired strand of lights around each clay star.
Looking for additional crafts and DIY’s to complete this season? Try making these trendy farmhouse DIY décor items!