Lets face it… kids love making crafts, especially when they can make them without the help of an adult! When I am needing to finish a load of laundry or make dinner, I typically try and give my kids something to do to keep them entertained such as reading a book, watching a movie, or making a craft.
Recently, I have noticed that my local Dollar Tree has expanded their craft section and now has a HUGE assortment of various craft supplies. During my last trip, I decided to pickup some wooden 3D animal cutouts for my kids to decorate. They were a success! My kids loved decorating their favorite animals and figures, plus it gave me some free time to get a few chores done around the house. Check out below to see the supplies I got from my local Dollar Tree!
Critter Makin’ Supplies:
- Wood Cutouts or 3D Animals and Figures
- Assorted Tempera or Washable Paints
- Crafter’s Square® Artists Brushes
- Crafter’s Square® Wood-Handled Stencil Brush
- Crafter’s Square® Pom-Poms
- Crafter’s Square® Multi-Pack Ombre Fine Glitter
- Mod Podge® Matte or Gloss Glue & Finish
- Crafter’s Square® Multi-Pack Multi-Color Feathers
- Crafter’s Square® Googly Eyes
- Crafter’s Square® Multi-Pack Faceted Gems
Time to Create Some Critters!
- Spread a large piece of newspaper over your work surface.
- Paint a base color on your wood form and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Starting at the bottom of the figure, coat a small strip/area with Mod Podge® or other craft glue using a stencil brush.
- To create an ombre effect, coat the bottom with either the darkest or lightest color of glitter by shaking it over the piece where the glue is.
- Repeat the last two steps using progressively lighter or darker colors of glitter as you reach the top of the figure.
- Allow to dry overnight.
- Add details to ears, legs, etc. by using a small artist brush to add glue, then shake on a contrasting glitter color.
- Add gem or googly eyes using Mod Podge® or other craft glue.
Looking for additional crafts for your kids? Have them create these fun and trendy troll hair headbands!