I love adding elements of winter in an unexpected manner plus, it’s a great way to “wow” guests at weddings or events! This year I decided to create elegant ice lanterns that look custom made and rather expensive at an affordable price. I used one large and one small plastic drink carton, a battery-operated LED tealight, wooden skewers, water, and some natural greenery with berries I had in my yard. With each lantern costing just about $3, you can make a ton of these show-stoppers to transform your event. Perfect for outdoor events, these lanterns will keep their shape all night during the cold winter months. Plus, they add a romantic and subtle icy glow, while they flicker behind natural winter greenery. Line your walkway or ceremony aisle with your lanterns, or place on dining or cocktail tables for added elegance. Your guests will never guess this was an easy DIY project you made at home!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 Large Empty Plastic Drink Carton
- 1 Small Empty Plastic Drink Carton
- 2 Wooden Skewers
- Hole Puncher
- Fresh or Faux Herbs or Evergreen
- Fresh Cranberries or Faux Berries
Easy Step-by-Step Directions:
- Use scissors to cut your plastic cartons in half, keeping the bottom half and discarding the top.
- Use a hole puncher to punch two holes in one side of the large carton (space each hole 2 inches apart from one another), under your cut line. Punch an additional two holes in the opposite side, lining up with the other two holes.
- Repeat Step 2 with the small carton.
- Place the smaller carton inside of the larger, lining up the holes.
- Secure the small carton floating in place by threading the wooden skewers through the holes of the large and small carton.
- Fill the space between the large and small carton with water, leaving about an inch at the top.
- Fill your water with fresh herbs, greenery, and cranberries and place the containers into the freezer.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours or until frozen completely through.
- Remove the carton from the freezer, remove the skewers, and quickly run warm water on the outside of your carton for just a few seconds to loosen the ice lantern from the mold.
- Place a battery-operated LED tealight at the center of the lantern and display on a charger plate or line the walkway of your home entrance or event.
Looking for additional winter wedding décor ideas? Check out these 4 winter wedding tips to remember!