Calling all mermaid lovers… this is one party décor idea that is sure to get your tails flippin’! At your next ocean-inspired or mermaid-themed party or event, create this extraordinary mermaid tail balloon waterfall. It looks amazing, and it’s really fairly simple to create with just some latex balloons and twine from Dollar Tree. Plus, no helium is needed for this fun idea… just your own lungs or a balloon pump and a little creativity. Hang it above the main food or party table, allowing it to waterfall from the top of one side of the table down to the floor on the other side of the table for a wonderfully dramatic effect. Easy to make and dazzling to look at, this mermaid tail balloon waterfall makes a big, colorful impact and is sure to be the talk of your party!
Stop by Dollar Tree for All Your Supplies:
- 1 Pack of 3-ct. Jute Twine Rolls
- 3 Packs of Water Balloons
- 5 Packs of Blue Latex Balloons
- 15 Packs of Assorted Bright Latex Balloons
- Balloon Pump
- Mermaid Tail Dress-up Accessory (or Construction Paper, Poster Board, and Paper Plates for custom designs)
- Removable Adhesive Strips
- Bobby Pins
Make a Splash… Here’s How:
- Cut five to seven 20-ft. strips of twine and tie the tops together.
- Using a balloon pump (or your own lungs, if you prefer), inflate small blue and green water balloons. Use bobby pins to attach the knot of each balloon to the top of each twine string.
- Fill in the strings with more water balloons. Inflate the larger blue and green latex balloons and attach them to the twine with bobby pins to finish each string. For the most dramatic effect, inflate your balloons to a variety of different sizes and vary the sizes as you add them to the twine.
- Attach the top of the strings fairly high up on the wall on one side of the table using a removable adhesive strip. This will be the end of the mermaid tail (and the top of the waterfall).
- Use additional adhesive strips to attach/drape the balloon strings to the wall above your table, gently cascading the balloons down the wall as you move to the opposite side of the table.
- Add the mermaid tail dress-up accessory to the top of the balloon waterfall with adhesive strips. If you prefer, you can use construction paper or poster board to create the tail fin at the end of the balloon tail. You can paint or color it to match your balloons, or cover it with paper plates to look like scales.
Looking for more non-helium filled balloon party décor ideas? Check out this adorable flower and caterpillar centerpiece!