Put on your party hats, people… it’s piñata time! Whether you’re making one for a Cinco De Mayo celebration or a birthday party, these mini piñatas made from paper party hats are sure to bring the fun. My kids love breaking open a piñata and pouncing on all the candy that spills out. If it were up to them, they’d have one every day. With this easy DIY party hat piñata idea, I can whip up a piñata for them more often… for any holiday fiesta or just getting loco on a random Tuesday. Olé! We’ve made this party hat piñata a tradition in my house and now you can, too…vámonos!
Stock Up on Party Hat Piñata Supplies:
- 2 Paper Party Hats
- Colorful Tissue Paper
- String or Twine
- Hitting Device (No need for a big bat… use a pen, pencil, ruler, a stick from the yard, or make your own. Get creative!)
Take a Whack at It:
- Using scissors, cut different tissue paper into 2×6″ strips. Use one color to match your theme or a lot of different colors like I did!
- Hold the strips horizontally and cut slits in the bottom about 1″ or halfway up the strip to create fringe.
- Wrap the fringed strip around the base of one party hat, adding glue to the unfringed part to attach.
- Repeat step #3 working your way up the hat to the top point of the hat, cutting any excess part of the strip off.
- Repeat all of that again for the second party hat and let both hats dry completely.
- Once dry, fill one party hat with their favorite candy.
- Apply glue around the rim of the hat and press the other hat onto it, forming your closed piñata.
- Glue a string to the pointed tip of one of the hats.
- Allow the glue to dry completely and hang!
How cute and fun is that?! If you’re looking for more party ideas and decorations for your celebrations, check out our Celebrations category!