Honest MOM-ent here. I’ve been seeing this project pop up a lot lately on Facebook and Pinterest, but I always thought it just looked like way too much work. Well friends, I put my Dollarista hat on and was determined to DIY this project in a simple and inexpensive way that’s just as “cool” (as my kids would say). Grab the items below and create this sensory board for the special little boy or girl in your life! *Remember – get creative and grab items that are different in size, texture, etc.
For my sensory board I chose items that would be applicable for both boys and girls. I went with a basic “classroom” theme, but feel free to go with any theme you like such as a construction theme, princess theme, etc.
“Feel” Out Your Store for Supplies:
- Foam Board
- Hot Glue Gun (Not Sold at Dollar Tree)
- Hot Glue Sticks
- Command® Strips
- Building Blocks
- Baby Toys
- Microfiber Chenille Washcloths
- Any Additional Sensory Items
Let’s Get Started:
- I started by writing “ABC” and “123” on the board to add a pop of color.
- Now for the super fun part – adding the sensory items! Make sure all the items are secured well, so they don’t fall off.
- Once I had all the items secured onto the board, I added some fun instructions and arrows pointing to each item. This just added a little extra touch and a bit more color to fill the board.
- If you’d like to secure it to the wall, you can do so with more Command® Strips. You can also lay it on the ground, but that does create the chance for damage (especially if your toddler is wild like mine)!
There you have it! An easy and affordable way to be an awesome parent. This can be customized in so many ways and could serve as the perfect Christmas gift.
Looking for more activities to get your kids’ minds thinking? Check out 3 Sensory Activities and Ideas for Kids.