Sugar skulls are super trendy right now and if anyone loves the new animated movie “Coco” like I do, you’re going to be all about this next project! I love everything about the sugar-skull look, and the best part is you can make these however you want. Edgy, pretty, or spooky… the possibilities are endless! So, grab the following items from Dollar Tree store and let’s get to crafting!
The Bare-Bone Supplies:
- Plastic Skulls
- Faux Flowers
- Fake Spiders
- Paint Markers & Sharpies®
- Hot Glue Gun (Not Sold at Dollar Tree)
- Hot Glue Sticks
- White Spray Paint (Not Sold at Dollar Tree)
Mrs. Sugar Skull:
- For Mrs. Sugar Skull, I started by spray painting her white.
- Next, I drew a black and gold butterfly design on her face using sharpies® and paint pens. The key part of this is to color in the eyes and nose with black so that they stand out. After that, it’s up to you how you want it to look! *TIP: adding lots of colors is also a great option for a more colorful and spunkier look.
- After removing the flowers from the stems, I hot‐glued them to the top of her head to complete the look. Isn’t she BOOtiful?!
Mr. Sugar Skull:
- For Mr. Sugar Skull, I left the bone-colored base as is. I filled in certain spots with my black paint marker just to make sure they really stood out. I added white to the eyes, created a mustache, and added a spider web design on his forehead.
- Finally, I hot-glued a fake spider to the top of his head to complete this creepy-crawly look!
Looking for more Halloween inspired crafts? Check out these Spooky Spiderweb Vases!