At the first sign of fall I start dreaming up the different Halloween costumes that my kids will want me to make. They are always coming up with something unique that I have to make. Thankfully, Dollar Tree is the best place to buy all the supplies that we need without breaking the bank. One of my favorite costumes I have made for Halloween was my son’s super hero turtle costume using $1 supplies from Dollar Tree. It was both fun and simple to make at home. Check out how I did it below!
*Please note: I made this costume to fit children, but it can all be made for adults as well.
Super Hero Turtle Costume Supplies:
- Tin Foil Oval Roasting Pan
- Red Ribbon
- Red Dish Towel
- Green Spray Paint (Not Sold at Dollar Tree)
Be a Halloween super hero with just a few items from Dollar Tree!
- For the turtle shell of this costume, I headed outside and used green spray paint to cover both sides of an oval tin foil roasting pan.
- I allowed the spray paint to dry completely on the first side before spray painting the other side (Tip: Paint the inside first and the outside last since the outside is what people will see)!
- Once the spray paint was completely dry, I used scissors to cut 2” slits on the four corners of the pan.
- I then cut two lengths of ribbon that were each approximately two feet long (the length of these two ribbons will depend on the height of the person wearing this costume).
- Next, I slipped the end of each ribbon into the slits in the roasting pan so that the ribbons were along the long side of the pan. I secured each ribbon end with a knot to be the straps of the turtle shell.
- For the ninja’s belt I cut a piece of ribbon that was a few inches longer than the child’s waist.
- For the headband, I cut a red dish towel to make a 2” wide strip lengthwise. Note: This just barely worked for a toddler’s head; for an older child or an adult I would recommend using a plain red bandana or a piece of red ribbon.
Your pets want to dress up this Halloween too, so check out these 3 last-minute DIY Halloween costumes for your furry friends!