It’s almost time to celebrate the Fourth of July! Keep your party food on theme with this patriotic marshmallow cereal treat recipe. Simply add food coloring to create a red, white, and blue dessert your family and friends will love! Not only are these treats super easy to make, they require no baking and minimal prep work. Plus, they’re easy to transport to your party, cookout, or event… no refrigeration required. It’s the perfect dessert to whip up just in time for July 4th.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 6 Cups of Rice Cereal
- 16-oz. Package of Small Marshmallows
- 6 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1 Teaspoons of Vanilla
- Red & Blue Food Dye
- 9×12″ Baking Dish or Muffin Tin
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray or Wax Paper
- 3 Medium Bowls
Easy Step-by-Step Directions:
- Line a muffin tin or baking dish with wax paper or prepare with non-stick spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in the marshmallows, stirring slowly and consistently until all marshmallows are melted.
- Take the saucepan off the heat, and stir in the rice cereal quickly to ensure all of the cereal is coated in melted marshmallow… yum!
- Separate the cereal into three medium bowls, one each for red, white, and blue.
- Add four drops of red food dye to one bowl, four drops of blue to another bowl, and leave the third bowl as is for white.
- Press the white cereal treats into the bottom of your baking dish or muffin tin. Press down firmly, packing down the treats.
- Immediately repeat this step to add a layer of blue cereal treats.
- Then, add your final layer of red cereal treats.
- Allow the treats to set at room temperature for 4-6 hours or until firm.
- If using a muffin tin, pop out the treats and place on a serving platter. If using a baking dish, cut the treats into square sections and serve.
Check out some of our other patriotic party ideas and celebrate independence with red, white, and blue inspiration for your star-spangled summer!