Bring the bright colors of summer to your wardrobe by tie-dying solid-color socks, t-shirts, or other fabric accessories! It’s a perfect activity indoors or outdoors to do with your family this summer. Follow these simple steps to incorporate a bold splash of color into your ensemble.
Supplies for Tie-Dye:
- Tie-Dye Kit (Available at Craft Stores)
- White Cotton Socks
- Rubber Bands
- Trash Bag
- Zipper-Seal Plastic Bags
Bring on the Color!
- Pre-wash and dry your socks.
- Create an abstract design, securing with rubber bands.
- Outdoors or in a bathtub, apply your dye directly onto the socks over a trash bag or plastic table cover.
- Once all of your desired dye has been applied, place your socks into a zipper seal plastic bag and let it sit for 6-8 hours (or longer for bolder colors).
- Remove the socks from the plastic bag and carefully cut off the rubber bands.
- Rinse the socks under cold water, place them in the washing machine, and wash on the hottest possible wash cycle. Note: Be sure to wash the newly dyed socks separately for the first 3-4 washes to avoid staining other clothing.
- Dry your newly washed socks, and they’re ready to be worn!
Shirts and socks aren’t the only things that can be tie-dyed! Check out how to make these fun tie-dyed pillowcases.