It seems like I am always trying to find fun and creative activities to do with my kids. Whether it be an indoor or outdoor activity, they absolutely love making any hands-on craft. Thankfully, Dollar Tree has a TON of awesome craft supplies that anyone could use! On my last trip to my local Dollar Tree, I came across these adorable chalkboard signs and thought they would make the perfect craft for my kiddos for back-to-school. I had each of my kids decorate their own sign and I wrote what year they were going to be in in school. They each held up their personalized sign on their first day of school and it was adorable!
I also decided to make a sign for my family and I to have around the house as well as one for my teacher friend who was gearing up for school. Check below to see the supplies I used to make these as well as my step-by-step process. Easy to make and fun to use, these signs make for the perfect personalized craft!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Wood-surround Chalkboards or Wood Cutouts and Chalkboard Paint
- Assorted Tempera or Washable Paints
- Crafter’s Square® Art Brushes
- Crafter’s Square® Hot Glue Sticks
- Hot Glue Gun (Not Sold at Dollar Tree)
- Crafter’s Square® Multi-Pack Wood Craft Sticks
- Crafter’s Square® Glitter Chipboard Stickers
- Crafter’s Square® Jewel Border Stickers
- Crafter’s Square® Mini Clothespins
- Crafter’s Square® Multi-Pack Fine Ombre Glitter
Follow Along Step-by-Step!
For the Back-to-School Sign:
- Start by painting or gluing cutouts to the wooden frame of the chalkboard. Make sure to let it dry overnight.
- Next, I use hot glue to glue on various colored craft sticks.
- Add jeweled borders, clothespins, or other components to personalize your chalkboard.
- Finally, add stickers to the frame and enjoy!
- Repeat the steps above for additional themed chalkboards and switch out the different craft elements to match each theme.