At any party you host or attend, the cake takes center stage! This time around, I decided to skip the expensive price tag of gourmet bakeries and do it all myself. Using easy and delicious cake mix from Dollar Tree, I made my own mini cakes and even decided to take my sweet treat to the next level by following this recipe below for marshmallow fondant! Using just two ingredients, I was able to give my cake a smooth and creamy finish. Cover large and small cakes with a layer of fondant to make it look just like it came from a high-end bakery.
Super Sweet Supplies:
- 4 Cups Mini Marshmallows
- 4 Cups Confectioners Sugar
- Pillsbury Traditional White Cake Mix
- 2 Tablespoons of Water
- Microwave-Safe Bowl
- Food Coloring (Optional)
- Rolling Pin
- Knife or Cookie Cutter
- Cake Pan
- Mixing Spoon
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Sprinkles or Any Additional Edible Cake Embellishments
- Mini Square-Cut Cakes (Use a serrated knife to cut out small 1 to 4 inch squares of cake)
Whip Up Some Fondant:
- Bake a cake using the directions on the box (I added different colors of food coloring to mine).
- Cover your countertop with a sprinkle of confectioners sugar.
- Place the marshmallows and water in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir the marshmallows with a spatula until completely melted smooth. If lumps remain, microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in the confectioners sugar with the spatula, until thick and paste-like. Turn out onto your countertop work space and knead for 3 minutes.
- Add a few drops of food coloring and knead it into the fondant if desired (I kept my fondant white).
- Once kneaded into a smooth ball, use a rolling pin to roll your fondant ¼ inch thick.
- Use your fingertips to shape the fondant around your cake. You can use a knife or cookie cutter for trimming.
- Smooth with your hands and trim with a knife if needed.
- Finish by decorating your mini cakes with various embellishments such as sprinkles!
Looking for another twist on baking? Check out these clever and delicious ice cream cone cupcakes!