Summer picnics and cookouts just aren’t the same without a juicy watermelon. Give the age-old favorite an adorable makeover with sweet ingredients that you can pick up at your local Dollar Tree. This inexpensive, easy-to-make treat doesn’t require any cooking time and is the perfect addition to your potlucks, birthday parties, and summer celebrations this year!
- 8″ Round Cake Pan
- Cooking Spray
- Cutting Board
- Microwave-Safe Bowl
- 2 Cups of Marshmallows
- 2 Tablespoons of Margarine
- 2 Cups of Crisped Rice Cereal
- Drops of Green Food Coloring
- 3 Cups of Marshmallows
- 3 Tablespoons of Margarine
- 3 Cups of Crisped Rice Cereal
- Drops of Red Food Coloring
- Small Handful of Chocolate Chips
You’ll Be Craving for More!
- Coat the cake pan with cooking spray.
- Create the green layer by melting the marshmallows and margarine over medium-low heat (in a skillet) until smooth.
- Stir the green food coloring into the mixture until it reaches your desired shade of green.
- Stir in two cups of crispy rice cereal, then pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan.
- Using your hands, press the green mixture firmly and evenly around the sides of the pan so that the middle of the pan is empty. (Tip: To keep the mixture from sticking to your hands, coat them with cooking spray.)
- Make the red layer by following steps #2 to #3 above. Press the red mixture into the center of the pan, filling in all of the empty space inside the green layer.
- Once completely cooled, flip the treat out onto a cutting board.
- Add “seeds” to your watermelon by melting a few chocolate chips in the microwave (in a microwave-safe bowl).
- Use the melted chocolate chips as “glue” to secure non-melted chips on the red layer.
- Carry this festive treat to your next picnic or cookout for a delicious (and adorable) dessert!
To keep the theme going, create this simple and easy $3 watermelon wreath!