Looking for a new trend to do with your kid that rocks? Try painting different rock creatures using rocks or stones you have around your yard or you can even purchase some for $1 each at Dollar Tree! Have your kids create various animals, fruits, outdoor scenes, or whatever their creative minds can think of. You can even create faces or patterns with googly eyes and stickers. Let your creative minds wonder free and rock your creations!
Shop at Dollar Tree – Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Rocks – You can use ones that you find outside or can purchase river rocks or stones from Dollar Tree)
- Assorted Multipack Artists’ Brushes
- Acrylic Paint in Assorted Colors
- 6-pk. Plastic Art Palettes
- 2-oz. Mod Podge® Finish (Gloss or Matte)
- 125-pc. Googly Eyes
- Sharpie® Markers
- Optional: 52×108″ Plastic Tablecovers – For easy clean-up!
Time to Paint Some Rocks!
- Use a generous amount of paint on your brush when applying each coat or design. Some types of rocks are actually more absorbent than others.
- For brighter or darker colors, apply a base coat of white or black acrylic paint to your rock and allow to dry completely before adding other colors/designs.
- Make sure to let one side of each rock dry completely before turning over to complete the back.
- Sharpie® Markers are good for small detail work and to sign your rock masterpiece
- Use Mod Podge® to adhere eyes to rock creatures and to coat your rocks when finished. It will dry clear and help protect against the elements, if you choose to put them outside.
Looking for more craft ideas that rock? Check out this hide-and-seek kindness stone idea!