Rushed for time in the mornings? Plan ahead for a busy week with this simple and delicious recipe for oatmeal in a jar. It only takes 5-10 minutes of prep time and about 30 minutes to bake up a week’s worth of nutritious breakfasts that you can store, grab, and toss in a bag. Personalize the oatmeal with different toppings for each member of the family — you’ll avoid unhealthy trips to the snack machine at work and serve your kids a delicious on-the-go snack… with a sealed lid to prevent messes!
Shop at Dollar Tree — Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 5 Cups Quick Oats
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Clove
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Nuts, Dried or Canned Fruit, Trail Mix, etc. (Enough to equal about 1-1/2 cups)
- 4 Cups Milk
- Five 8-oz. Canning Jars
- Toppings (Fruit, whipped cream, yogurt, peanut butter, jam, etc.)
Easy Step-by-Step Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add milk.
- Divide mixture evenly among the 5 mason jars (use 6 jars if you want to go ahead and enjoy one hot out of the oven). There should be plenty of room at the top for you to add other toppings when you’re done. Line jars up on a cookie sheet and place in oven.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until warmed through.
- Allow to cool completely before screwing the lids on the jars. Put in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.
- When you’re making the kids lunches in the morning, toss an oatmeal in your bag along with a cup of yogurt, fruit, or nuts. When you get to work, remove the lid and warm the jar in the microwave for about a minute. Dump the yogurt on top of the oatmeal and enjoy!
- Change up the flavors to keep it fresh all week — peanut butter, fresh fruit, pie filling, whipped cream… you don’t even have to warm it up for it to be tasty, so just fill the jar, close it up, and go!