Crunchy crispy marshmallow-filled treats hold nostalgia for all of us, especially for me and my family! I tend to make our favorite treats even more special around the holidays and have even come up with this super simple 3-ingredient recipe, which is fail-proof and can be molded into any shape. I simply add a few drops of food coloring to create a festive dessert and use X and O cookie cutters to make them with love! If you don’t have X and O cookie cutters, you can mold the marshmallow crispy treats using your hands.
Serving up a batch of these crispy treats adds edible décor to your dessert table. You can even wrap an X and O in a clear treat bag and tie it closed with a pink ribbon to make the perfect sweet favors for your party guests!
Shop at Dollar Tree – Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 4 Cups of Marshmallows
- 6 Cups of Rice Cereal
- Red Food Coloring
- Optional: X and O Cookie Cutters, Knife
- Mixing Spoon
- Mixing Bowl
- Casserole Dish or Pan
Simple Step-by-Step Directions:
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add rice cereal to the warm pan and stir until well coated.
- Split the mixture in half and pour one half into a bowl. Mix red food coloring into the bowl until the mixture is red (or pink depending on how much food coloring was added).
- Use a spatula to evenly press both mixtures, keeping them separate (one half of the pan the colored mixture) in your prepared pan. Cool completely.
- Use X and O cookie cutters to press into the firmed crispy treats. If you don’t have X and O cookie cutters simply use a knife or your hands to cut out or shape an X and O.
- Arrange your X and O’s on a serving platter or bag individually as a party favor or valentines!
Looking for more sweet treats to whip up this Valentine’s Day? Try out this recipe for an easy and tasty brownie batter dip!