My best friend’s baby shower is coming up and as she’s having a winter baby, I thought a snowman diaper cake would make the perfect gift! Now she will have diapers when she arrives home from the hospital, as well as some fun baby necessities that I used to accessorize the cake. Shopping for the supplies for this cake was extra easy as Dollar Tree has everything you need to make this adorable snowman diaper cake.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 Large, Round Plastic Serving Platter
- 52 Diapers (7 for the top tier, 15 for the middle tier, and 30 for the bottom tier)
- 52 Mini Clear Hair Elastics
- 12-15 Large Rubber Bands
- 3 Pipe Cleaners
- 1 Round Florist Foam
- 2 Craft Googly Eyes
- 2 Baby Bottle Brushes
- 2 Infant Bibs
- 1 Nasal Aspirator
- 1 Infant Pacifier
- 1 Roll of Decorative Snowflake Ribbon
- 3 Snowflake Holiday Ornaments
- Hot Glue
- Hot Glue Gun (Not Sold at Dollar Tree)
Time To Build a Snowman!
- To make the diaper cake, start by rolling each diaper and securing it mini clear hair elastic.
- Once you have rolled all 52 of your diapers, you can make the top tier of the cake by taking 7 diaper rolls and placing them vertically in a tight circle. Secure the circle of diapers with a large rubber band and set aside this layer of the cake.
- Make the middle tier of the cake by taking 15 diaper rolls and placing them vertically in a tight circle. Secure the circle of diapers with a large rubber band and set aside.
- Next make the bottom tier of the cake by taking the remaining 30 diaper rolls and placing them vertically in a tight circle and secure them with a large rubber band.*Tip: For the middle and bottom tiers I made 9 vertical circles of 5 diaper rolls each and secured each circle with a large rubber band. For the middle tier I put 3 of these circles together, secured them all with a large rubber band, and removed each of the rubber bands that secured each circle of 5. For the bottom tier I put 6 of these circles together, secured them with a large rubber band, and removed each of the rubber bands that secured each circle of 5. I found this to be much easier than trying to get the large rubber band around 15 or 30 diaper rolls all at once.
- Next, place the bottom tier of the cake on the plastic platter. Insert 2 pipe cleaners near the center of the bottom tier of diapers, each should be about 2-3 inches from the center of the tier.
- Carefully place the middle tier onto the bottom tier with the pipe cleaners going through the diapers on the middle tier. Place the top tier onto the middle tier the same way, with the pipe cleaners going through the diapers. If needed, bend and tuck the top of the pipe cleaners into the diapers so they are not visible.
- Take your snowflake ribbon and measure around the outside of each diaper tier, cut the ribbon so there is an inch or so excess. Take the ribbon for the corresponding tier and wrap it around the center of each tier to hide the rubber band. Secure each end of the ribbon together with hot glue.
- Repeat for all 3 cake tiers. I also hot glued a snowflake ornament to the center of the ribbon on each diaper cake tier for some added snowflake décor.
- Next, I accessorized my snowman! For the snowman’s face, I used a piece of round floral foam. I hot glued two googly eyes. I used scissors to make a nose hole and mouth hole in the foam and added a nasal aspirator for the nose and an infant pacifier for the mouth. To attach the face to the cake, I took a half of a pipe cleaner, folded it in half again and stuck it into the bottom of the floral foam face. I then inserted this into the center of the top tier of diapers.
- I added a baby bib around the snowman’s neck and another bib as a kerchief hat.
- As a final touch, I stuck baby bottle brushes on each side of the cake, between the top tier and the middle tier, for the snowman’s arms.
In about 30 minutes, I had a beautiful and adorable snowman baby cake!