This adorable and easy owl craft is perfect for fall, plus it gives a little nod to Halloween without being too spooky. Because it uses traces of the children’s hands, this will also be a treasured craft by parents. And don’t just limit your students to traditional “owl-colored” construction paper… let your little Picassos create their owls using any colors their hearts desire. You’ll be amazed at their creativity!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Owl Stencils (FREE Owl Face Template and Owl Body Template)
- Construction Paper
- Googly Eyes
Easy Step-By-Step Directions:
- Print the owl stencils out onto heavy cardstock then cut out the shapes. Use these as stencils that your students can trace.
- Have each child trace the owl stencils onto construction paper (let them choose the colors), then cut them out.
- For the wings, have each child trace his/her hand (twice) onto construction paper and cut out.
- Using glue, glue the eye circles on the owls face. Layer the small circles on top of the large circles. Finish the eyes by gluing googly eyes inside the small circles.
- Glue the chest circle, talons, beak, and wings onto the owl’s body (see picture above for placement).
- Cut 20-30 feather shapes out of multiple colors of construction paper. Wrap the end of each feather around a pencil to “curl” it and give it texture.
- Glue the feathers on top of the chest circle, starting at the bottom and layering feathers on top of each other slightly, varying the colors as you go.
Fall Bulletin Board Idea
- Have each child in your class make an owl and print his/her name on the owl’s “chest” or wings using a permanent marker. You could also make a little “scroll” or piece of paper with the student’s name and glue it under the beak.
- Make a large tree on your board with a lot of branches and place the owls all over the branches. Have the kids cut out extra hand shapes in red, orange, and yellow to use as the leaves of the tree.
- Using die-cut letters, create a title, such as “Whoo-Whoo Loves Fall?” or “3rd Grade is a Hoot!” You could also modify the idea to use as a fall jobs chart, birthday chart, and more!
Visit DollarTree.com to shop our Wise ‘Ol Owl Craft idea.