August 22, 2018 | Celebrations | Written by The Dollarista
Growing up, I have such fond memories of reading and enjoying Dr. Seuss books! They’re such whimsical classics and I’ve loved passing them down to my own children. I’m excited because this year I’m planning a Dr. Seuss inspired birthday party using Dollar Tree supplies. There are so many clever creations that can be made for just a few dollars. Check out these three ideas and get inspired to throw a party of your own!
Truffula Tree Centerpiece
For this magical tree-rific decoration, you’ll need a plunger (yes, that’s right!), tissue paper, scissors, a dress-up boa, and hot glue.
- Wrap yellow tissue paper around the base of the plunger and glue it in place.
- Cut any excess tissue paper from around the handle.
- Wrap the handle of the plunger in pink tissue paper and glue in place, cutting off any excess.
- Cut 2″ strips of yellow tissue paper and wrap around the handle to form stripes, gluing each strip in place as you go.
- Wrap the boa around the top of the plunger handle and glue in place so that it’s secure as the top of your truffula tree.
- Allow the glue to dry and display on each party table!
Green Eggs Party Treat
Inspired by the famous Dr. Seuss book, “Green Eggs and Ham,” this party treat only requires three ingredients: square pretzels, white chocolate chips, and green chocolate candies.
- Preheat your oven to 300°.
- Line your pretzels on a baking sheet and top each one with 4-5 white chocolate chips.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and let the chips melt for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately press one green chocolate candy at the center of the melted white chocolate. This creates your green egg!
- Allow your whimsical treats to cool and place them in a bowl for party snacking or wrap them in cellophane to hand out as party favors.
Pin the Mustache on the Lorax Game
Love the Lorax? You’ll love this party activity. To make his face and mustache, you’ll need an orange and yellow poster board, scissors, double-sided tape, and white and black paper.
- Lay the orange poster board down flat. This will be the face of the Lorax and the base of the game.
- Use scissors to cut out yellow bushy eyebrows and eyelashes.
- Cut out additional white and black circles to make the eyes and an orange circle to make his nose.
- Attach his facial features to the poster board using double-sided tape.
- Cut out a mustache shape, one for every participant and attach a piece of double-sided tape on the back of each.
- Take turns covering your eyes and pinning the mustache on the Lorax! (Tip: Have everyone write their name on the back so that you can easily choose the winner closest to the center.)
Want more birthday party themes and inspiration? Check out the Celebrations Category!